September 7, 2009

Jupiter Moon Conjunction



Recently, on September 2, there was a conjunction of the Moon and Jupiter, meaning that they appeared very close together in the sky. While observing it, I decided to take a picture of the event with a digital camera. I was surprised to see that Jupiter did not appear like a bright dot in my picture, but instead had some detail. Zooming into Jupiter, some stripes and colors are revealed! I had not expected this from my digital camera. So here are some of the pictures that I took of the event. The picture on the left is of Jupiter zoomed in, while the picture on the right is a separate picture of the Moon. The streaked shape of Jupiter is due to the exposure time.



Astronomy and Space Celebrates International Year of Astronomy 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment